View Single Post
Old 2015-11-29, 00:12   Link #1
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
What's the best choice in a new laptop?

My current laptop is ancient by technology standards: Windows vista, 180gb HDD, and only 2 gb RAM. Not to mention that my HDD is failing on my quite often. I've been looking at the plethora of options out there, and while I'm probably going to stay with a Toshiba 15.6 in, the rest is where I'm hoping to get some advice.

First off, the uses that I'm looking to do: mostly browse the internet and email, with occasional game playing, but I usually only do browser-based or Hearthstone (and maybe even Solforge)... and the occasional emulator, but the emulators are for the old systems (as in PS1 and earlier). So I don't think I need to worry too much about a gaming laptop. Otherwise, I also use it do download and watch a lot of anime (and a movie every once in a while). So those are my main uses.

So, here's what I've been looking at: 8GB of RAM, 1TB of HDD space. Still only 5400 rpm, and I believe the core is an Intel i5. On one hand, I like all these specs. On the other hand, it's also over $400, and I'm trying to keep the amount I spend under $400. The other options are going with 4GB of RAM and 500GB HDD, and most likely an AMD A8 processor, with potentially 8.1 (not sure if free upgrade will be included). This laptop is more budget-friendly, but I'm not sure if the specs would be too low-end, and more importantly, if 500 GB with 4GB ram would work for all the videos I download and watch.

Any suggestions as to which is better for my described uses? I'm also more partial to Intel myself, but if AMD will do everything for me that Intel would in this case, then I might go with AMD.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote