View Single Post
Old 2012-12-06, 20:34   Link #69
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Hm, well, I'm not sure how to address the FX comment without going into the extensive literature of macro-economic effects of currency reserve imbalances and the supply and demand of currencies related to underlying interest rates.. What I suppose we can simply agree upon is that in the short-term exchange rates can have a massive effect on an economy?
Agreed.

Quote:
I was just having a conversation with someone about this recently in relation to "trade-hubs" like Singapore and tying it back to jobs like mine in "Professional Services" -- this is my speculation, but much of Singapore's balance of trade showing up as positive is "value-added" goods and services that I believe are consumed domestically. Primarily services. This shows up as an ongoing positive balance of trade.
The basic information you need to answer your speculations is available from Statistics Singapore.

Quote:
What I think is happening is value capture through the facilitation of the international trade between the two counter-parties with the export component actually being "domestic" GDP production via services.
This chart is particularly relevant: balance of payments (2008 to 2012). Interestingly, Singapore's balance of services was S$2.3 billion (US$1.9 billion) in 2011, compared to a goods balance of S$84.8 billion (S$69.5 billion). On paper, that means we're importing almost as much services as we're exporting. I didn't expect that but, on reflection, it's not surprising. It simply means that, as a small economy with a narrow resource/capital base, we rely heavily on non-domestic services to produce goods for export.

That's not the same as what you're suggesting, that the "value add" from services misrepresents domestic consumption. Still, it makes for useful inference.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote