View Single Post
Old 2009-04-05, 21:03   Link #100
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Quote:
which is nothing like Mazinger Z/One Piece
if you don't see the art style similarities between Soul Eater and Op then I can only urge you get your prescription checked very soon. Soul Eater literally looks like OP directed by Tim Burton and occasionally grabs character designs from every other shonen series like Naruto and Bleach, but oh! throws a scar or a pair of glasses on them. Oh, and let's not forget the designs it directly copies from Guilty Gear. I think you're confusing art style with music, guy.

I'm talking about the way the show is drawn and the design sense. And once again, the scenes in the Basqash promos with the redheaded protagonist shouting passionately as he slam dunks are DIRECT lifts from Slam Dunk! if anything. The angle and everything is identical from the exact same moments in that anime, not Gurren. And since when are Gurren and Soul Eater the first ever anime series to try and be "hip"? Anime series are following those music cues because it's a trend--not a trend GL started either. Get over it.
Hey, I guess The World Ends with You is ripping off Gurren Lagann, too. It has the same style and music taste...

Westlo, could you kindly curb your flailing until you've actually SEEN an episode or two of the show you're reaming??
This show looks more like a straight-up sports series with mechs thrown in to add some semblance of originality, not the standard mecha show in the first place.
Quote:
Honestly, I don't see this trying to be GL or SE anything more than it trying to be a new shounen/ super robot show.
Yeah, that's what I'm getting from it, too. Just a sports shonen with mecha thrown in. Because of that, it may appeal to non-mecha fans the way Gurren not taking anything seriously did, but I don't see it TRYING to appeal to people who liked either show. I find the "Soul Eater is doing something nobody else has done" argument hysterical. It's just a stylish show, there have been other stylish shows, dude. Have you never seen cartooniness mixed with gothness before?

Last edited by Keiichi_chan; 2009-04-05 at 21:17.
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote