View Single Post
Old 2009-08-13, 03:11   Link #326
james0246

I'm not sure why people are still discussing this (besides the fact that we are bored ). The data books give 2 very important clues to this conversation: 1) the rivalry between Mihawk and Shanks was never settled, and neither defeated the other during any of their legendary duels; and 2) Shanks lost none of his power (whatever that may mean) upon losing his arm.

Consequently, if we classify Shanks as a Swordsman, and add the fact that Mihawk never actually defeated him in battle (he simply stopped battling him), then Mihawk doesn't deserve the title of "Strongest Swordsmen" (since his former rival is still undefeated and is still as powerful as he was during their duels). Unless there was clearly a more powerful swordsmen at the time (that we currently do not know about, so this is all conjecture) that Mihawk defeated to gain the title of "Strongest Swordsmen", then Mihawk not defeating Shanks becomes problematic for describing Mihawk as the "Strongest Swordsman".

But, if Shanks power lies not in his swordsmanship, but rather his Haki (whatever type he may possess), then Mihawk not defeating Shanks need not be a mark against his title of "Strongest Swordsman".

Additionally, and to speculate, while Shanks overall power may not have changed upon losing his arm, it is possible that Shanks' swordsmanship did decline upon losing an arm. So while he was as strong as he was before, he had to rely more on Haki than swordsmanship, and consequently Mihawk could easily assume the title of "Strongest Swordsman" (this is a conjecture, mind you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummania View Post
Have anyone thought of that the word "swordsman" probably just refer to a person who fights with Katana, i.e. Zoro and Mihawk? Especially out of a Japanese manga? That would save a lot of arguing, would it?
I was thinking something similar. Maybe swordsmen are different from sword users. Specifically, someone like Rayleigh would be a sword user, he uses a sword to channel his Haki, but it is conceivable that he could use any weapon to channel his Haki, so his sword isn't as important. On the other hand, there are people like Zoro whose entire being is in their sword(s); rather than simply using a sword, the sword is an extension of their being. Consequently, Mihawk could be the greatest Swordsmen, but he could still be defeated by characters that use swords but their powers lie elsewhere.

This is conjecture, mind you, and is really based on personal opinion. I believe Zoro/Mihawk are Sword masters, able to use the sword as an extension of their mind, body and soul. Whereas Kaku, and most others, are sword users: people who simply use the sword as a tool to win their fights.