Thread: Licensed Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-14, 04:23   Link #201
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I don't know... this anime has some very good ideas, interesting scenes, but the execution is terrible. Non-existent transitions aside, storytelling is all-over the place, a lot of characters are drawing almost the same, and in this episode the most dramatic scene was completely ruined by elevator music. I just hope they manage to tie in the cast to the plot, because we're half way in, and except for the multiple personalities connecting the four guys, absolutely everything else is completely unrelated.

Anyway, why surprised with the fourth personality, he is in the opening

Oh! and +1 for acknowledging that drugs and alcohol exist
What precisely is wrong with the execution? I find it to be just beyond awesome myself o.0. Transitions aren't needed since that's the point of the show. It'd be nowhere near as fun had they shown characters (and by proxy, scenes) transitioning into each other off the bat or too frequently. The show is brilliantly executed precisely because it manages to tell a serious story while keeping thing hectic. Chaos is order, pretty much. This show realizes (and tells you face-front) that it's just fiction and takes full advantage of being as such. And the amount of self-parody is genuinely awesome. The elevator music you complained about was the best thing about the episode. Oh and the first few fantasy openings they did were as epic as anything can get. I'd say they were even comparable to the stuff Level E had, if not better.

Regarding characters, watfek man? How do those girls act anywhere near the same? (Apart from Naru and Ai, but they look completely different and the only thing similar is that they "pursue" Dora quite aggressively) And the character design is quite different too. All the characters, even the most insignificant ones, have their own quirks so it's really really easy to tell them apart. Furthermore, even the side characters have their own unique flavor and awesomeness. Find me another ten year old like Alice. Or someone like Kobato who can treat another personality of her brother as someone completely different. Heck even that pyscho bishop is cooler than most generic characters you see nowadays.

Oh and the banter. The dialogue in this anime is beyond comparable. Every single scene has godly dialogue. For instance, the scene from episode 4 where Ai is introduced. I dare you to find me better banter than that. Granted Steins;Gate has good stuff too but that show is nowhere near as interesting overall with only the banter standing out.

This is pretty much the only show I can re-watch ten times in a row without getting bored...Okay, I don't mean to imply that it's the only good show, but still. I can't re-watch Hen Zemi because its too much (even for me), and there is not much point to re-watching Yondemasu Azazel San and Hyouge Mono and I can only watch AnoHana episodes at most twice before they lose the charm...and those are the only other shows that really stand out... Okay, maybe Sket Dance too...(I am watching everything airing and now that I think about it, this season is much better than recent seasons in terms of the number of good shows... stuff like C, A Channel, Nichijou, Hanasaku Iroha and Denpa aren't bad at all...not to mention Dororon Enma kun...oh god...) apart from Touwa Meme (that show itself doesn't really stand out though)... but this show, I can watch every episode, both as standalone and as part of the narrative, however many times. And if you do watch the show from the beginning till now, you will realize just how much the plot has actually gathered together. All that nonsensical stuff has already come a long way into forming a coherent narrative. And it can only get better.

That said, that Shu-chan scene....
caught even me off-guard

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2011-05-14 at 06:53. Reason: If only more people followed this gem but... yeah, I do suffer from the 'edit posts too much' syndrome.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote