View Single Post
Old 2009-06-10, 03:03   Link #85
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Just something I picked up. The armor on the Edelwis is slopped which is a later upgrade of the tanks armor. The slopped armor provides a stronger resistance to bounce off enemy shells or prevent the peicing of its armor. Guess its bit technical for me to explain atm.
The best benefit of sloped armour is its comparative thickness to non-slopped armour. A solid piece of steel 60mm thick positioned vertically is only 60mm and offers the best surface for a round to transfer all it's energy against.

However if you rotate that same 60mm piece of steel to an angle of 45*, you've increased its thickness - I can't remember if it's almost double the thickness at that angle or not - and created a surface the round is more like to deflect off of. That said, you can use a thinner piece of angled steel to offer the same comparative thickness as the vertical slab thus saving materials.

But you're correct, with every advancement in anti-tank technology, a new means must be made for the tank to defeat that advancement and the cycle continues.

An example would be when shaped charges were deployed, armoured shrouds were added to to the exterior of vehicles for the rounds to detonate prematurely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I beleived it also fired on the move, which makes me beleive it possibly has the device that doesnt allow the gun to bounce around while going over ruff terrain. Some type of gun spring mechanism if I can recall. Like a shock absorber.
I think you're referring to a gyro-stabilized barrel. No matter how high or low the chassis oscillates, the gun remains pointed at the same height within limitations of it's maximum and minimum elevations.

A shock absorber or "spring" would most likely be a recoil dampener.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."