Thread: Surprise me
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-07, 02:57   Link #7
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Ah, I've seen:
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu sounds like it might be more than cute kids doing cute things, so I'll give it a look.
Not even close. This anime is absolutely crazy. It might be a hit or miss, but you should try the first episodes at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Brigadoon. More cute kids. I'm starting to see a trend. Sci-fi elements might make it watchable. I'll check it out.
It has strong lolicon undertones, but it's not bad and it is actually an action dramatic anime for the most part.

I don't see in your list

Nichijou and Azumanga Daioh

I see that you gave a 8 to Lucky Star so I suppose that you do enjoy pure comedy anime when they are well done.

Sure it's still about "cute girls" but not so much as doing cute things than as doing crazy hilarious stuff. These two titles are frequently recommended, Azumanga is still cherished and occasionally mentioned after more than 10 years, you should give it a try.

Also Muteki Kanban Musume is another absolutely hilarious anime, albeit not really famous.

Blame! is something you should try if you didn't already, since you apparently like sci-fi. Just keep in mind that this isn't really about a plot but about a particular atmosphere. It's pretty dark and dystopic. You gave 10 to Ergo Proxy so you should appreciate this.

You should definitely watch Jin Roh, and Perfect Blue.
If you like the latter, try other Satoshi Kon movies.

Also from Satoshi Kon: Paranoia Agent. I really loved it, but it's hard to guess whether you'd actually like it, when you gave a 2 to Lain
Well, I think Paranoia Agent is a lot more consistent if that's what you didn't like.

Is there a particular reason I don't see Nanoha in your list? I doubt you never heard about it before. Sure it's a mahou shoujo but it's geared to a male audience and it has a lot of sci-fi and simil-mecha stuff. It's pretty good in my opinion, just resist through the first few episodes.
If you gave 8 to Mai-Hime and 10 to Madoka, I can't see why not.

Try also Mermaid's forest. It's from Rumiko Takahashi but it's really different from her other works. It's more akin to Jigoku Shoujo and Musishi and it's well conceived.

Rozen Maiden. You might think it's all about cute dolls. Well, that's one of its main selling factors but that's really not just that. The main plot is about a game where the dolls need to fight each others so there's a lot of action and a lot of drama. It's surprisingly well done. I personally was prejudiced about it, but I'm really grateful I tried it.

Spice and Wolf You must have heard about it. Well, it's quite an enjoyable show. Personally I didn't like the second series as much as I liked the first, but there's a reason if it's so famous, beside the obvious waifu material.

Utawarerumono it's an anime based on a fantasy setting similar to feudal japan. It's for the most part centered around wars that the MC needs to fight. Sure it's based on an eroge, so there's really a lot of female characters, but the "harem" part has been reduced to the minimum so much that there's only two characters that openly express their love for the MC.

Lastly: did you really hate shana III that much? I admit I have a lot of difficulties understanding why so many people dislike it.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote