View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 21:45   Link #396
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Yeah, well, I was old enough to catch ZETA on (CRT!!) TV... so...

Yes, but at least the characters found a small measure of happiness, and I am glad they did. With all the hard work, they deserve it.

Personally, I don't think Aina or Shiro tried that hard to change the perspective of their factions, because I think even they thought it would have been futile. It was already pretty difficult to look past their own differences to reach the understanding that they, as individuals, did...
I think they did the best they could considering they were only 2 people in the largest conflict of the UC era, lol.

Not to mention not SO many people were so (conveniently) idealistic like them nor did people just hesitate and/or cave in at pretty words, lol. (*coughcoughReycoughcough*)

Quote:
That being said, there is a small problem I have with recent AUs:

I acknowledge characters work hard to achieve their end, but its often portrayed as being too simplistic. Skills of of AU pilots are incredible, and certainly put UC aces such as the vaunted Amuro and/or Char to shame. I cannot recall an incident where Amuro or Char downed more than half-dozen enemies during a sortie. Certainly, you know they would survive, being necessary to the plot, but grunts sure as heck put an effort to make that endeavor difficult.

Later you have AU aces like Setsuna, Kira, and Kio, who can go out there and pretty much handle an entire battalion by themselves as if they were all playing a variation of Gundam Musou!

And that is despite the fact that mobile suits piloted by their foes aren't exactly on the bottom of the tech tree.

Then come the aftermath of the battle. UC is dead set on being realist. There is never a thing as everlasting peace. AU often simplify the approach and allow the protagonists to have it both ways. The sole exception to this so far I've seen is SEED/DESTINY.

Now, I do love certain AU to pieces, but its a personal observation I cannot ignore.
I'd say it's both pilot "improvements" coupled with making grunts and other non-important characters far worse coupled with, sometimes, huge MS tech disparities at times (like the 20 year old antique Leo vs. a modern Gundam in Wing until we got the Taurus and Virgo / Virgo II, which still ended up getting owned like nothing in the end) and, not to start any flame wars about it, but, more noticeable plot armor for the main characters (and less development overall, IMO).

In terms of enemy count, Amuro did down almost a dozen Rick Doms outside of Side 6 in Mobile Suit Gundam, but by then, he at least has the excuse of his Newtype powers being far more awakened, his own piloting having improved from the last couple months of battle, and him being more matured by that point than the beginning (as that was when he met Lalah, so into the last quarter of the series).

Quote:
You might or might not be surprised by the eventual ending, then...

Lets just say its not extraordinary.

- Tak
Yeah, I read up a bit and I'm not surprised, lol. Still, at least I don't think it's bad either.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote