View Single Post
Old 2007-05-06, 02:08   Link #20
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darco_emp View Post
I throught we have established that magical energy is a form of energy and thus does have the properties of energy and matter. I wish to point out however Fate's pseudoelectric attacks is ineffective against AMF, while we have not tested bloody dagger yet I will assume they are ineffective too. However the substance that Barrier Jacket have seems to be an exception to this.

Btw can I ask for a clarification on "magically-created matter"
Magical energy as 'real' energy- It's not a form of energy as we understand it. Certainly not the way people think of 'energy' in terms of EM radiation. For one thing, it responds to human will.

I'm going out on what I see as a terribly short, unoriginal limb and sticking with the idea that 'magic' has its own rules. I find the entire idea that any of this stuff makes any sense purely in terms of our physical laws, that it's all just very advanced technology, to be preposterous. Magical law is separate from what we'd call physical law- if you define physical law to include magical law (since, after all, if they have rules for interacting with each other they're really just part of the same system), then it is not the physical law we know.

Barrier jackets in AMF- in StrikerS manga it was stated that a mage in an AMF will lose basic defenses, and the characters generally acted like AMF had absolute effect out to a certain range and none outside that. However, in the StrikerS anime they act more like AMF has a limited effect that decreases in power with distance like a 'real' field. In anime context the survival of the barrier jacket can be explained by barrier jackets incorporating a permanent form of the spell-protection/barrier-inversion techs used by Tiana and Carol against AMF (if barrier jackets' relative permanence and long set-up time allows the incorporation of relatively complex effects it would go a long way towards providing an in-setting explanation why there seems to be such a bias towards defense and character durability in Nanohaverse, though whether AMF-resistance is a standard feature is anyone's guess until we see TSAB grunts trapped inside an AMF.)

Magically-created matter: By magically-created matter I'm referring to any matter that just seems to be conjured out of nowhere by magical means, presumably through some magical-energy-to-matter conversion process has nothing to do with ol' c. Blood daggers, Vita's 'croquette balls,' the barrier jackets- they all appear to be ordinary matter but they're created by magical processes and imbued with magical power. To apply the above point, it inspire far less cognitive dissonance for me to say that the listed objects are created by putting magical energy into a form that causes it to emulate physical matter and gives it properties useful for offense or defense not dependent on those of the physical matter it emulates than to say that, say, blood daggers are created by doing an e=mc^2 energy-to-mass conversion and then partially reversing it to create the blast, or by using nanites to assemble a miniature missile that just happens to look like a dagger for aesthetics' sake.

In other words, I hate 'magic is just really advanced technology' unless the technology looks plausible to me. That happens in hard sci-fi, but never in anime.

Last edited by Kikaifan; 2007-05-06 at 02:35.