View Single Post
Old 2012-11-29, 05:18   Link #195
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Then that's the down side of many Harems... that's why I prefer an anime that starts in a harem then goes to the main one female route. I'm also satisfied knowing that my favorite female is still on the top of the harem and is the MCs preference.
See, here's the thing. Different people have different favorites among a certain harem. There are people who just feel sad when the MC doesn't pick their favorite female, and there are people who HULK OUT when the MC doesn't pick their favorite female. So it's not going to work for some people...

What I meant by "not alpha male", well, you know, the "uninteresting male lead who is an extreme doormat and is completely dense about the girls' feelings about him, and yet the girls are still into his shit-tier dick" kind of thing some people always rant about...

So that brings the question of how savvy should the main male lead be in terms of romance. It's just so sad when people expect the main lead to become pro at romance despite being a complete beginner. Being good with girls is not something you can master in 24 hours! In some cases, it's a gift or talent rather than something you can improve with training.

That said, I didn't like the "alpha male archetype" some Western people apparently crave for anyway, because they tend to be assholes who view women as sex machines. For me, a good harem hero should still value his harem members as much as anything else and thus treat each one of them kindly, and at the same time he should be able to stand up for himself when his harem members go overboard with their antics (such as the tsundere's "hyperactivity" and man-hating attitude or the master manipulator who takes advantage of his kindness).

Last edited by judasmartel; 2012-11-29 at 05:31.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote