View Single Post
Old 2004-01-27, 15:29   Link #32
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium
lol so weird to see a dutchman called Eelco speaking japanese i really want to read japanese manga's, those are written in kanji right? so where do i start learning that
Hehe

Well, there are a lot of manga aimed at young children that are written in hiragana only. Those can still be quite entertaining.

The more popular manga are written for teenagers, and are written in kanji, though some feature so called "furigana", which are small hiragana next to the kanji to give the pronunciation.

If you want to learn kanji alone, I recommend www.kanjistep.com or www.kanjisite.com, but remember that knowing all the kanji in the Japanese language won't do you any good without understanding the grammar.

If you want to learn it by yourself "Japanese for Busy People" is a good textbook series. They will teach you grammatical structures while giving useful sentences.

Else of course you could check out my site , but lessons will be added rather slowly (one every issue, which if you're lucky means one lesson per month). There are three lessons online now, which cover hiragana, and roughly 40-50 kanji I think, plus some very basic grammar. I'd say that you can manage well with my course after 8 lessons. Then you'll have a basic knowledge of Japanese to a point that you'll be able to use it.
Eelco is offline   Reply With Quote