View Single Post
Old 2009-09-10, 20:56   Link #27
DreXav
Amused one.

Hopefully this thread won't derail into prolonged discussion about virginity or such alike, I've felt it was overblown because few peeps misunderstood Horo's tease and.. character ;]

The much awaited episode arrived, which hands us some major clues to figure out where both the plot and relationship of our couple is going in this arc.. alas, the clues feel tad too spoon-fed this time, the "figure it out on your own OR die trying" subtlety depth of the SnW is one of major sale-points for me.

To start off the discussion, I must disagree with those that are complaining about the plot progressing "too slowly". While the plot is about L&H's journey, it is not just the physical Pasroe-to-Yoitsu part alone, but more importantly, the journey of their characters and hearts.
The first season served as a general introduction of our beloved merchant-wolf couple, portraying their general traits, talents, desires and fears - drawing us a picture.
The second season seems to move on onto more complex level of this essence, with post-Amati arcs taking huge leaps on that journey. I very much enjoy how their characters and relationship flesh out, details and stains being added to the previous picture.

I am well aware some will just blitz through it with a sense of dissatisfaction, but on that note I daresay they are to blame themselves. One ought to ponder deeper over this story, with the experience of both novel and anime.
Nowhere close the caliber of, let's say, Neon Genesis Evangelion's depth, but it is a show that deserves some more thought, some meta-thinking.
With the foreword off my chest, I can finally move with the episode and story discussion..! ;]

Since the beginning of this arc things been going surprisingly well between Lawrence and Horo, with Lawrence finally making some good moves on Horo and her falling back a couple times, showing softer side.
Perhaps it is all too well for Horo, as some of her behaviour and words could imply.

The "sweet and salty" water is most likely reference to Horo's contemplations in Wolf and Amber Melancholy (adapted in SnW II, episode 0), where she concludes that providing too much of the same (emotion, treatment, food et cetera) would probably greatly reduce the effects, "an excessively repeated experience would lead to frustration and boredom." Ergo "if one gets sick of eating sweet foods, one should eat something salty" to preserve the joy. "Water" is something we have to take in everyday, therefore for the common day not to lose it's taste or turn into something tiresome, it must be well balanced.

In this arc the couple displays signs of getting used to each other presence and pleasant interactions; without a doubt, everyone have noticed how much focus Horo had on that topic. She seems partialy bitter, displeased with that state of things. "I want it to be like when we first met".. true enough the emotions back then were strongest and small things yielded exceptional emotional feedback, while some relatively outrageously bold actions like the recent princess-treatment is being carried out as something natural (by Lawrence).. and shuddered off so, too (by Horo).

With the clues from this episode as well as in conjunction with her blurbs in Volume 4 (the one that has been skipped in anime), Hero's particular act in episode 9, her finding something unknown scary, is much clearer.
I came to believe she is afraid of those positive emotions - joy, fun, fondness - fadding out too much, but at the same time she's unable to stay alone and preserve the balance, which leads to getting hold of Lawrence as he's about to walk off. On first time it was feeble attempt, on second it was small confession, on third time it was an event with a tone of.. spite, perhaps? Though Lawrence is to blame - "Rather than giving you a bait, I should be charging a boarding fee!" represents major twist in the thought's pattern - at first he was terribly grateful for Horo to be on his cart, to such extend that he felt the need at times to bait her into staying despite her being already there (Amati-case is major example). That remark of his says he takes her presence for granted. It just reassures Horo in her fears that things may be dying down.

I sense a bit of distance from her side in episode 10, on contrary to Lawrence, who's being very mindful of not only involving her but himself as well just not to trouble her as side effect. As a result of fear-spikes she may attempt to throw in some salt into their everyday water and with Lawrence finally getting out of his shell, it could lead to a clash where Lawrence engages emotionally too much and ends up with feeling of being rejected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plot with Abe doesn't seem as amusing to me, probably because I find it too straightforward. A handful of assorted thoughts and observations of mine:

- Abe's comment in episode 8 about "nervous fool sweating in their palms"; she was very nervous with that handshake in ep10, both the rapid movement and strained voice - the exaggerated, "deeper" sound that the joining hands made is that of sweated hand;

- Abe is obviously familiar with the city, area and trading routes well enough to know the local trends - her connections and knowledge of current situation are proof enough;

- about Abe's salt: she's seen on ship in the opening which could imply that's how she transports her statues and stones, which would be logical assumption as Abe herself admits the profit margin is low, but the quantity makes up for it. Cart seems too limited a capacity for that. Some noteworthy fact is salt being major factor in preparing, "curing", hides and fur. Since Renose is famous for those, it'd be natural for sea merchant to load on cheap salt back in the south (I assume she picks up the statues in southern regions,where the church influence is much greater, church-faith cities more common, thus making the statues cheaper);

- Abe's been interested in the 50man meeting outcome since the beginning. It is most likely she helped Lawrence to meet the chronicler in hopes he'd get scent of the meeting's outcome - thus gaining more time to prepare the funds, what not. All in all, she must have been aiming for the fur business for some time already. I think the inn-owner used to run a tannery before, which could hint toward them being business partners or accomplices ;]

- The whole deal Abe is offering is much more dangerous than it is being said: recalling literally armies of merchants and suppliers in the city and outside, you can easily imagine the scale of fur industry going on, as well as extreme weight of the 50man meeting's decision. Abe already exposed the fact some wealthy, powerful figures are trying to take advantage of the decision with no-credit-rule (which apparently is known to those with right connections before it makes to the public). The impact will be huge if those monopolistic plots go through, as legion of people will end up suckered up.

The profits will be great and normally the deal would be sweet if it wasn't for Lawrence needing to indirectly trust Abe with Horo's fate, not to mention the money. Horo will be pawned for funds. Granted they manage to get hold of some good amount, those will need to be shipped down the river and sold.

That takes a while, God knows what will happen to Horo meanwhile? The opening sequence with Abe sailing away is big hint to me - she seems to be fleeing Renose, which is in background, set ablaze in night, probably during inevitable riot caused by the fur market crash. The old landowner seems to be acquaintanced with Abe and apparently taking the occasion to ride along her on his pilgrimage. That implies he's well aware of Abe's plan and his offer of the inn is smoke for Lawrence to stay rather than to oversee the deal.
It strongly supports the idea that Lawrence will be doublecrossed. With Horo's fierce consensus, she will almost certainly be pawned for the investment in fur. Lawrence will be ditched by Abe and the landowner (what was his bloody name?), forcing him to buy out Horo and.. I do not know, pursue them? Seeing Abe got connections, experience, she'd be half way across sea/river by the time Lawerence would manage to buy out Horo and get a ship.

Dumped most of my thoughts on this topic in one go as it may turn out I won't be able to come around for five days.. again >.<
Apologies for hasted manner of this blurb, gotta disembark the train in ~5-10mins ;]

Cheers,
~D~

Last edited by DreXav; 2009-09-10 at 21:13.