View Single Post
Old 2011-06-19, 16:01   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Ohana isn't a villain, but she's either indecisive or severely lacking courage (in romance) or both, and it does mean that her overall impact on a few other people in the romance department is mostly negative (i.e. antagonistic ).

It really is time for her to give Ko a proper answer, and yet again she doesn't really do so, even when the plot and other characters keep pushing her towards that. As much as I like Ohana, I have to admit that I'm a bit tired of how anime has so many female character types that are very strong and confident, except when it comes to romance. I'm not saying it's unrealistic, because many people in real life are like that, but it would be nice for a change to see more female characters that are strong in relationship matters as well (a good example here is Hitagi Senjogahara from Bakemonogatari).

That being said, this was another fantastic episode, and it was good to see Ohana start to seriously reflect on how her actions can effect others in unexpected negative ways. I think that Ohana's shounen-esque personality may soon be refined somewhat, as she continues to "come of age" through this anime's narrative.

Ko and Tooru both came across very well in this episode, I felt. So did the girl with a crush on Ko. All three of them took a mature and reasonable approach to the obvious romantic conflicts of this anime, as Ko was profoundly understanding of Ohana's words to him, while Tooru and the girl with a crush on Ko both did what they could to force Ohana to properly resolve her situation with Ko. However, the fact that all three of them are handling the situation in a forthright and mature manner makes Ohana look a bit worse by contrast.

I have to admit that this episode downright surprised me with how it handled Satsuki. It was probably a safe bet that her character would be softened a bit over time, but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly, and so pronouncedly. My sense is that Satsuki was genuinely moved by Ohana's actions in Episode 11, particularly as they reminded her of what she was like at Ohana's age.

I also echo Kanon's take on Minchi. She now seems far removed from the girl that practically made catchphrases out of "Die!" and "Balut!". Minchi's passivity towards Tooru's crush on Ohana is truly startling, and it suggests that there's a softer and more insecure side to Minchi. I actually find myself starting to care about Minchi, which was almost unthinkable to me back around Episode 4 or 5.

The plot of this anime is admirably unpredictable, yet firmly rooted in realism far more often than not. This is great for viewer immersion, as well as for keeping the viewer on the edge of his or her seat.

In Hanasaku Iroha, much as she did in True Tears, Okada pulls the viewer along as though on a roller coaster ride of family and romantic conflict where each twist and turn makes sense in retrospect, but also often seems thrilling and unexpected when you first come upon it.

10/10 for a finely crafted Episode 12. Hanasaku is starting to seriously challenge Steins;Gate for top spot amongst Spring 2011 anime for me.