View Single Post
Old 2011-11-21, 20:38   Link #3292
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
The term 'dead' can mean many things. Like say... Dead Language? Are you telling me there MUST be a 'Latin' corpse floating out around there?
Languages becoming deceased isn't really something that happens in mystery stories.

(and there kind of are corpses for dead languages; ever heard of the Rosetta Stone? ^_~)

Quote:
I'm sure people have argued to this to you before, but if I make something that is clearly not human dead, there doesn't have to be a corpse.
Shannon and Kanon are not "clearly" un-human. Infact, their nature is a major plot twist, so the fact that Beatrice just dropped these statements with no further context is inherently deceptive. It's a lie of omission since she went out of her way to make him believe something which Is Not True. There's more to lying than just using words wrong.

The red truth is simply the truth. The deaths of Shannon and Kanon do not fit that red, because no only is it not simple, or true, or simply the truth, but it is actively, deliberately designed to make Battler and the reader believe something else besides what is actually true.

Quote:
And if I trick you into believing that that thing which acts human but isn't, you can't say that the words were lies.
Yes, I can. That which is dead does not come back to life. Shannon and Kanon can come back to life. Ergo, they are not among the deceased.

The word is being given a special rule that is not intuitive, does not apply to anything else in the series, and is not congruent with anything to do with any of the word's definitions in the common public consciousness.

It would be like saying Yasu saved everyone when 'saved' means 'murdered' because lolgoldenland.

There's absolutely no good reason for Ryukishi to have done this other than to protect his twist, but it's not a good twist because not only is it obvious since way earlier than he revealed it, but his attempts to protect the twist actively damaged the rest of his narrative. He undermined the integrity of his novel by making Beatrice a dishonorable cheater who doesn't respect her own rules that she created.