View Single Post
Old 2012-10-18, 17:15   Link #120
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
It's not exact proof, because we don't know how much impact the huge popularity of the LN's had on the hype of the anime.
You're really grasping at straws here.

Look, the fact is that there's no real evidence that the anime market is against harem anime (or anime with harem anime elements) with strong male leads. There's no evidence whatsoever for that, and there's plenty of evidence to the contrary (not just SAO, but also the Key titles, as I hold both Yuichi and Tomoya to be pretty strong male leads).

Look, if you simply like doormat male leads, then defend that. Don't try to hide behind some misplaced economic argument that completely flies in the face of the success of SAO, Kanon, Clannad, Steins;Gate, and many other anime shows.

Heck, how about the Monogatari Series? You certainly don't get much more harem-esque than that, and the male lead in that is a pretty strong character.

Quote:
Risk aversion. If something is not broken, there is no need to fix it.
That has nothing to do with my point. My point is that we have a clear economic record of harem anime (or harem-esque anime) with strong male leads selling perfectly well (and no TV anime has sold better than the Monogatari series). There's no "risk" either way, so risk aversion is not the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Eh, I’m not sure you’re giving sufficient recognition to the female perspective here.
I'm giving recognition to the human perspective. A decent human being doesn't slug a person over an innocent accident.

Quote:
The guy’s intention does matter, but at the end of the day the bottom line for her is likely to be that he saw her naked.
In some cases, it's as much her fault as it is his (in a few cases, it may even be more her fault than his). The guy is not an idiot just because he caught her naked. Maybe she should have locked the door when she went into the washroom to have a shower. That's what most people do, after all.