View Single Post
Old 2013-04-05, 20:48   Link #2
Midonin
Last Engage

When it comes to a majority of anime designs, I'm fine with the cartoonish exaggeration. This is why Pixar chose to animate their films with humans (The Incredibles, Brave) the way that they did, because they were well aware of this concept. The only 3D I've had a problem with is the Precure dance endings, because I find 3D cel-shaded models that move too well more unsettling than those that are limited by the frames of animation. Now, Toei has been getting better about this - anime in general has been getting better about it. Even Love Live and AKB0048 were mostly okay with their models not interfering and/or mixing with the 2D well enough.

But this is why, when Photo Kano's anime adaptation was announced, I was excited, because compared to Kimikiss and Amagami, the game originally had a very similar case of that cel-shaded 3D model thing, and in a visual novel... it just doesn't look right. If it's in motion like Seisai no Resonance's girls, where the models are almost constantly fighting, or done in a cutesy SD style like Gensou Douwa ALICETALE's (a similar style made me ease into gdgd Fairies and Straight Title Robot Anime [and Gyrozetter's robots - those are supposed to look artificial]), then I'm okay with it... but for the talking scenes, the 3D just looks out of place. So the best thing Photo Kano did was render its heroines in full, glorious 2D.

I realized I talked more about 3D than 2D here, but bad CG modeling can take me out of something pretty easily.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote