View Single Post
Old 2013-04-05, 20:58   Link #4
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
When it comes to a majority of anime designs, I'm fine with the cartoonish exaggeration. This is why Pixar chose to animate their films with humans (The Incredibles, Brave) the way that they did, because they were well aware of this concept. The only 3D I've had a problem with is the Precure dance endings, because I find 3D cel-shaded models that move too well more unsettling than those that are limited by the frames of animation. Now, Toei has been getting better about this - anime in general has been getting better about it. Even Love Live and AKB0048 were mostly okay with their models not interfering and/or mixing with the 2D well enough.
And there's that upcoming MMO Scarlet Blade Online (a bit off-topic), which is a bit creepy as well.

Quote:
I realized I talked more about 3D than 2D here, but bad CG modeling can take me out of something pretty easily.
Well, thanks to the advances in technology, 3D now has the ability to look as 2D as possible. That said, using 3D in 2D animation is better left for distance scenes, away from focus. (Maoyuu and Vividred Operation, two anime from the previous season, used this quite efficiently.) BRS is an exception, though, as it deliberately used 2D and 3D to illustrate how different two two worlds involved are.

Quote:
As for my (meagre) contribution to the topic... I would say that, generally speaking, anime is fairly-far removed from the uncanny valley issue since it's very highly-stylized. This may be why, in those instances where it does come up, it provokes even more controversy, since it's quite unusual and outside the norm. Anime doesn't usually look anything close to "realistic".
Mostly. Aku no Hana's character designs looked like they were traced from live-action scenes.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote