View Single Post
Old 2013-04-20, 23:37   Link #34
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Saori's older sister...confuses me. Namely, those sideways glances she was giving Saori during the "those were happy times" segment. The main issue is that the emotion conveyed by that was really confusing, since on one hand the earlier part suggests that she was trying to be the helpful onee-san, and on the other she's halfway goading Saori in...whatever that European country was. And while she claims to be the leader, she kinda came across as the person who doesn't even interact with her own circle.

I realize how awkward of an impression that seems to be, but that's the whole vibe I got. I was especially confused by the bit where she got cut off by Saori explaining how to make tea, because I'm not sure whether that was supposed to imply a separation from Saori, some form of jealousy, or pride for finally prying the imoto out of her shell.

All in all, the wildly conflicting images and words just confuse the heck out of me. Maybe it'll be less muddled when and if Saori's older sister gets another segment. Or maybe it was a case of "lost in adaptation".
(Edit: This is expanding a bit on what HandOfFate said above; just a bit too slow )

I think they're just trying to express a subtle thing. What Kaori wants is for Saori to find her own strength. She definitely does love her little sister a lot, but she's also a go-getter by nature and doesn't want to pamper her little sister. Kaori also has her own set of goals for her life, and she isn't the sort of person to dwell on things when it's time to move on -- if Kaori wants to "experience everything" in life, she can't be too emotionally attached to any one thing.

I think Kaori's "goading" of Saori was basically to push her out of the nest, and to force her to find her own way. Kaori and her friends had come to terms with the fact that all things come to an end, and there comes a time to move on, but Saori was trying to cling to past and blame Kaori for ruining what they had. But Kaori didn't invite Saori there so that she could make friends, exactly, but so that she could have the drive and ability to make friends on her own. So she's basically saying "don't blame me that you're upset; do something about it yourself". And that's exactly what she does.

I think it's all tough to read because it's a sort of "tough love". It's certainly a bit blinded by her own perspective in life (since she's basically a self-starter and go-getter, which her little sister was not by nature), but it's not unfeeling either. If anything really bad were to happen, you can bet that Kaori would be there in an instant (which is why she showed up with the old gang on Saori's birthday to check up on her), but she wants Saori to aspire to be a better person than she is. In the end, one of the recurring themes of this show is flawed people who have a hard time expressing their true feelings, and in that sense she's no different.