View Single Post
Old 2012-09-25, 12:51   Link #62
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post

I'm not that knowledgable in Japanese history, but I always thought of the robotic sword as a reference to the automata that were popular during that time. I've never heard of sword fighting automata, obviously, but I wouldn't put it beyond some rich guy to use automata instead of straw puppets to train. (Here's a link that vaguely describes an archery automaton that apparantly could react to a hit or miss.)
Now you mention it, i remember reading somewhere that Japanese had some advanced robotic techonlogy .... very advanced/complicated ... for that time that is .... There was some models aside the archer doll, mostly toys... but still, worth all praise considering the time they were made.

Quote:
I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing in there, too. I don't think going too deep there is a good idea, though. It's really a sentimantal but fun romp through history, I think. Lots of "poetic license".
Yes and no.... we could learn/realize some more interesting facts... on the other hand... it could expose more flaws of this show

Quote:
I'm curious what you'll think of Kurenai. It's one of my favourites, especially due to the outstanding voice actors: Sawashiro Miyuki and Yuuki Aoi really brought the main characters' relationship to life. Most of the side characters are interesting, too.
Right now, just watched the first episode .... not enough to judge yet.... although it isn't that long ...
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote