View Single Post
Old 2012-12-19, 18:53   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Overall, I thought this was a very good ending.

What I liked:

1. How it incorporated the full cast. Shinka had some great lines, we got to see Kumin put on an awesome acting performance, and we got to see normal Dekomori. I think this ending did a great job of giving out useful, entertaining, and interesting roles for these characters.

2. The climatic moments on the beach. That was very well-handled.

3. Thematic strength. This anime has a theme, and it managed to convey it beautifully and very effectively, I felt. I can't say that about every anime; maybe not even most anime shows.

4. A happy ending, and Yuuta and Rikka both having to earn it.

What I didn't like:

1. It felt a bit rushed.

2. I'm totally with Warm Mist on the narration at the end. This ending definitely didn't need it.

What I'm mixed on:

1. The last minute plot twist of Rikka's chuunibyou being based on The Dark Flame Master as much as it was anything else. In some ways, it's an awesome plot twist. It certainly adds a lot to the Rikka/Yuuta romance. However, it's hard to swallow this never coming up before. I'm not going to say it's contrived, but it does stretch things a bit. On the whole, I'm leaning towards this being a positive, but I am biased towards plot twists.

2. How Rikka's family was handled in this episode. After this episode, they now feel like little more than plot devices to me. But maybe that's fine, and some of us just attached too much importance to them (aside from Touka herself, perhaps).

On the whole, this was an entertaining ending with some nice surprises. However, I don't think it'll stick with me as much as K-On!! or Hyouka's endings will. On the whole, 8/10. That's probably my rating for the series as a whole as well.