View Single Post
Old 2012-09-18, 05:56   Link #116
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich666 View Post
For me that was not closure at all.. (I know it's slice of life but there are simply many other slice-of-life animes that are much much better)

Flaws of final episode:
- for the last episode, there was too much time of nonimportant and uninteresting scenes in preparation of parade part.
- main characters other than Oreki are barely seen for almost half episode.
- instead we are presented with dull slowpace talk of first-seen side-characters during parade preparations. No emotions for me - why should I care for them I am seeing them for the first time.
- why do we have to watch babbling of several old men and their unsubstantial dispute about correct route parade should go, why? why introduce red-head boy (or brown hair whatever) in the last episode - that doesn't make sense.
I think you really missed the point of the episode.

Here we see Chitanda's role in her community. This was mainly revolving around "Chitanda's world" and what Oreki might encounter inside it. I mean that part where Chitanda was talking to Oreki in a very serious tone says a lot. You could see Oreki having a really hard time digesting the contrast of the behavior.

Anyway about Satoshi and Mayaka, they weren't even the focus here. They were probably only shown just to have a sense of continuity from the previous episode.

Quote:
why introduce red-head boy (or brown hair whatever) in the last episode - that doesn't make sense.
Nothing more as a tool for this episode.

Quote:
- KyoAni trolling again with ugly animation of parade (if that was animation at all - discarding every second, third and fourth frame). It felt very low-budgety comparing to other parts of the series. And no, I am not seeing it as brilliant choice of mood - for that, I have seen it too many times elsewhere...
As much as I'd disagree about that scene not being good, I'll just agree with you that it could've been done better.

Quote:
- ending scene was graphically nice and well done, yes, but chitanda's talk about her plans of going to college was sort of branching away from main theme they should talk - her relationship with oreki. this was again, uninteresting to me. Why there wasn't some sort of intimate confession under sakura tree, just why? Wasted potential of the scene, if you ask me. Yes, you could see that as normal life when two of very close boy-girl students have some feelings for each other but have to go away and never see themselfs again due to other circumstances - but is that really the story we want to see in the first place? (if yes, watch masterpieces from makoto shinkai, this one felt very dull)

As it is, it was very unsatisfying conclusion to Hyouka story for me (if there was any conclusion at all). If you ask me, everything in this ep could be done a ton better.

All in all, it felt like authors of this show really didn't know what to do with it in the first place. There were too many themes, many unnecessary mystery arcs if you ask me. In result, some eps was great, some wasn't at all. If everything was like ep14, 20 or 21 I would give it 9 out of 10 but it was nowhere to it and now I really don't know what I should think of it as whole.

Does anyone know how Hyouka was doing in Japan? I can't see this getting second season at all...
Like I said this episode was really about Chitanda's world and the adversities Oreki might face. It's everything against his nature. It was something that needed a lot of effort. It shatters his energy saving life style.

Every time romance related stuff happens it's all the subtleties that plays. The source material isn't even over. The anime has caught up with it with only a few stories left to use. They really didn't end it with any implications they'd be growing apart but rather it shows that Houtarou deep down acknowledges he has feelings for Chitanda. He has already accepted her but he hasn't totally accepted himself. He's in Satoshi's shoes now. Just look at the difference between his daily life to Chitanda's daily life. It's mountains high in difference.

Yes I know it's sad we had no confession but this was really a more realistic way of closing things. For Houtarou to think of such a line means he is beyond JUST interested in her. I mean that line he wanted to say was sitting in the lines of Marriage Proposal. To be involved that much in one person's problem! Those words hold too much responsibility and requires a lot of dedication. Just take a look at Houtarou's unwillingness to help Chitanda remember her Uncle's words. Or again just take a look at the Movie arc where he didn't want to be involved with Irisu's favor. Basically he doesn't want to commit to such things in fear that he might do something wrong and be blamed for it. This line however is everything against his nature again.

Mostly Houtarou saw Chitanda as nothing more than a nuisance he has to deal with. Why would he commit something THAT BIG to someone?

If we look at Houtarou's old self, it wasn't like him at all to say such big words. IMO this was a very abrupt thing Houtarou would have said. The way I see him is that he's normally the calculating person who takes the quickest steps in accomplishing what he has to do. That path he would have chosen probably says otherwise.

Regarding that 5cmps reference you said, it is highly unlikely with the way it's ended. Not saying there is no possibility but it is a very bright ending.

Another thing. If you by any chance were so particular about other shows out there, these open endings are much worse. Ever heard of the term GAINAX ending? Haruhi as well was open ended. It's not the first time KyoAni did such a thing probably but what can you expect when the material is still on going? KyoAni has been known for sticking to the source materials. Only a few changes here and there but the ending is still well within what the material states.

In any case Hyouka's doing decently and the Novels have been bumped really high. No real indication of a second season but that goes with almost all KyoAni works(Kadokawa). They couldn't really push themselves to make another season anyway with only a few stories at hand. Let's just hope the author dishes out more of it sooner.

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-09-18 at 13:12.