Thread: Proposal Make post counts public
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-19, 17:05   Link #80
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
So then why is having post count shown so important to you? Does this strength the community at all?
Part of my argument is that having a community with a lot of active members having high post counts indicates that the community itself is strong, vibrant, active, and well-established.

Quote:
Again as many people have already said including myself, post count really in the end means nothing...
That's simply not logically correct. A high post count strongly suggests that a particular member has been part of an online community for a long stretch of time.

In any event, like I wrote before, I accept that the public post counts idea was clearly not a popular one. So of course I accept that nothing will change there. However, some of the negative responses on this thread are frankly way over-the-top, based on my own experience on very large message boards that have public post counts. I felt compelled to respond to those negative responses which I honestly feel do a disservice to boards that have public post counts.

The other reason I've made the posts on this thread that I most recently have is to counter Westlo's suggestion of scrubbing join dates. I don't want a depersonalized, anti-information AS.