View Single Post
Old 2006-04-26, 15:40   Link #46
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
Hmm... would we actually be seeing this butterfly effect as we speak? Considering how that microscopic subatomic quantum phenomons are almost never seen in the plane of reality that we exist in? Could it be the macroscopic world in itself is a convergence of all the possible outcomes from the subatomic level of interaction?

What would happen then in the forever expanding model of the universe where there is no 'end in time'? Will we wind up with no convergence of alternate space-time?
I don't think we can say we're seeing the 'reverse butterfly effect merging', but then again I do have a preference for Many Worlds as opposed to "One World only" (even if I do prefer to do my calcuations in the "One World" 'collapsing wavefunctions' interpretation). Or to word it better, this reality we exist in is a convergence of a great many quantum-level and other trivially minor variations and possibilities - but not ALL as there will be some which do have a Butterfly-esque effect.

As for what happens in the Open Universe model's End of Time... dah, can't remember the exact details but it comes down to 'heat death'. All matter decays (nuclei eventually all become Iron nuclei which is the most stable or break down before that - and the Iron will eventually 'evaporate' away too) into the unbound energy form ("matter is solidified energy"); Entropy is maxed out (it cannot increase anymore) and there'd be no gradient in Temperature/Energy therefore everything looks bleak and uniform and in utter entropy. Mmm no, I need to do some revision before I can actually define what 'entropy' is for you as applied to this scenario. Ask me again a month later or separately read it up?