View Single Post
Old 2011-03-28, 23:04   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm not in favour of changing the standard/default avatar icon dimensions. Keep in mind that your avatar is used in more than just the regular posts; it's also used in the friends list, for visitor messages, and elsewhere on your profile. The Friends Listing in particular was designed with this sort of "icon grid" in mind, and it generally looks better given that most people have standard square icons. I also agree with the argument recently raised about not wanting to increase the height of the info column, which already forces enough height for each post (that was my first thought as well).

You already do have the flexibility to change the dimensions if you wish, but this way people are naturally encouraged to stick with the standard size. Not to mention, increasing the dimensions leads to the question of increasing the maximum permitted file size, and as was already explained in a previous recent discussion, there is no interest in adjusting the file size restrictions at this time.

So I'm going to lock this thread now. There really isn't a significantly-compelling argument to encourage avatars to be anything other than 100x100px squares, but you already have the flexibility of changing the proportions if you wish so long as neither dimension exceeds 100px. Square icons are a standard virtually everywhere (arbitrary or not), and that's basically what an avatar is.

If anyone has any significant concerns or compelling arguments as to why this change should be made, please feel free to PM myself or any other member of the staff.