View Single Post
Old 2006-10-11, 05:53   Link #30
Poseidal
Knight of Cheome

The section in G. seems rather short, and only seems to have one (very) expensive option.

I will just put in that there's Corel Paint Shop Pro X (now they've bought it from/bought Jasc), which is quite powerful and doesn't cost half of the price of Photoshop (currently at £41 [~ $80] or so from Corel's UK website). I don't know the exact bells and whistles it has and hasn't got compared to Photoshop, but it has all the things there for at least basic painting and photo-editing use, though I hear the interface is quite different to PS. I used to use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, which I hear you can get very cheap now which is fast and does the job, but it's alpha use among other things aren't as powerful as the newer version.

Other people use Open Canvas, which seems reasonably popular; Corel Painter is also available (not sure on the prices of both). I think these are much more painting based and don't offer that much in terms of photo editing, but I haven't got these.

These are just some other options if people don't feel like parting with $650 or piracy.

There's also Vector images. The two I can think of are Xara Xtreme and Corel Draw; the *nix version of the former is Open Source; the Windows version is not. I use the older version of Xara: Xara X, which I haven't had the need to upgrade from.
Poseidal is offline   Reply With Quote