View Single Post
Old 2010-11-13, 19:09   Link #39
Lunar Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
And Ayase DID change her mind after being confronted with the evidence supplied by Kyousuke's father.
That's not really the impression I got from that scene.

Ayase was so focused on that newspaper article that the only way Kyousuke was able to convince that she kind of sort of might have been mistaken was to get his hands on a goddamn police report that contradicted it. And even after that, she was so focused on forcing Kirino to be the person she expected her to be rather than the person she actually was. In other words, even though she was complaining about how her best friend was deceiving everyone about her fangirl hobbies, Ayase expected Kirino to live a lie in order for them to reconcile.

In the end, Ayase's cognitive dissonance about Kirino was never resolved. In fact, Kyousuke's decision to fall on his sword and take the blame by pretending to be a bad influence on his sister just reinforced her delusion that Kirino's hobby wasn't a conscious choice on her part but came about as a result of her being corrupted by her older brother.

I hate sounding so difficult, but I utterly fail to see how Ayase made any progress at all in this.