View Single Post
Old 2007-05-31, 19:32   Link #95
Furudanuki

I may not like it, but from a risk-analysis standpoint I can understand Seven Seas decision. Where I think they really screwed the pooch (ooops, now I'm going to be labeled as some kind of perverted caniphile) is in the public relations department, and not just from the fandom standpoint - if I was an investor I would be a little leery of them right now.

But having had the chance now to view the portions of the manga that could "not be considered appropriate for the US market by any reasonable standard", I'm not sure whether I should be saddened or amused. Was I subjected to images and vivid descriptions of violence, depravity, and perverse debauchery far too horrible to detail on a public forum? No, I saw a male teacher in his early twenties holding a shivering female third-grader inside his jacket so that he could warm her without becoming chilled himself. I'd be morally outraged if I hadn't seen similar body positioning used in survival manuals that demonstrate ways to keep another person from suffering hypothermia by using your own body heat. Then came what had to be the most unacceptable thing of all. The male teacher experienced a perfectly normal physiological response when the previously mentioned female third-grader started wriggling around on his lap. Correction - it wasn't shown, it was implied by his thoughts and facial expressions. He did not want it to happen, he did not appear to be enjoying himself, and he certainly gave no indication that he was about to lose control and rape her.

Let me clarify something for anyone reading this who hasn't been, never will be, or has forgotten about ever being a male in his early twenties: what happened to that teacher is an absolutely normal physiological response for a healthy male when subjected to that sort of physical stimulus. The fact that the stimulus was provided by an underage girl does not make him a pedophile. I would be willing to wager a large sum that if you were to take a healthy young adult male and apply the same stimulus to their groin with a bag of warm mashed potatoes you would see the same response far more often that not. But that doesn't mean that that man should be banned from entering the state of Idaho, or ordered to stay more that 1000 feet away from any McDonalds so that they won't try to molest the Fry KidsŪ. If he begins experiencing regular erections just by thinking about tater tots, without any physical stimulus, then I will start to be concerned.

Sigh. I hadn't even planned to buy this manga in the first place, so I guess it is just the principle involved. I've got two young girls of my own, so I certainly have no tolerence when it comes to real live pedophiles. I'm well aware that they are out there, but I'm not ready to fall into the trap of seeing them behind every tree and rock.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote