View Single Post
Old 2007-07-10, 06:07   Link #264
Teiran
NPC
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
How many has listened to the Karaoke Box CD? Anymore reviews/thoughts? I got pretty emotional listening to the whole thing... but I'm a almost an hen-na-ojisan (strange old men ) so that's to be expected..
I'm not that old by most standards, so the classic stuff didn't evince any particular nostalgia for me, but I loved the CD nonetheless. I'll bet the VAs, especially Hirano-san, had an absolute blast recording this; it just sounds like something with which they could have run wild.

If you thought Kona-chan did a number on the tokusatsu themes and Cha-la Head-cha-la during the ED originals, you'll want to prepare yourself for the parts that didn't make airtime, as well as the journey into total incoherence known as Monkey Magic. I'll freely admit it: I was grinning like an idiot all through that, err, song. (Mou yamete ii desu ka?) As for the two songs featuring Konata's imitative "adult" voice--well, let's just say that that voice can't be kept up indefinitely.

That said, my favorite full-length track is probably Miyuki's version of Chijou no Hoshi. Miyuki generally doesn't get a whole lot of love in the show, so hearing her take center stage for a song--even Konata's interjections in the TV-size version are edited out--was priceless. Before the final verse, she has a short monologue in which her voice ends up simply shining with determination. In as many words: so moe.

Anyone who knows what to expect from this compilation will probably enjoy it. It's not musical genius or anything; half the time, thanks to Konata, it's not even in tune. Still, if you're listening to a Lucky Star-themed album in the first place, you probably know what you're in for, and IMO that's precisely where the CD's charm lies. It isn't about perfect-pitch renditions, even if Kagami's take on Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu happens to be more than passable. To me, at least, it's about the girls being true to their personalities and their social dynamic wherever they go. (Tsukasa's despair during the last half of Valentine Kiss makes you feel for her; with Konata in the same karaoke box, though, you get the sense that it couldn't happen any other way!)

This isn't the kind of album that I'd loop all day every day, but listening to it, I can't help thinking how much fun it is to be a fan of L*S.