Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-13, 23:29   Link #18249
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Ok I cooled down....

With the recent Russian Demonstrations and developments in the Arab World, it got me to thinking about Democratization in certain big world stages.

Could Russia one day have it's own..........er Russian Revolution?

(Gotta think up a better term like Arab Spring or Orange Revolution, any ideas?)

I can't really get a finger on Russia. Apparently liberalism as defined in the West is rather weak there, so opposition is dominated by Commuinists and (explicit) Nationalists.

Some cultural commentators say that Russia like China (or at least China's state line) is that they aren't too hot on democracy because it breeds insecurity. Apparently Russians have more of an appetite for strong arm tactics and centralized power (apparently the Orthodox church influences this somehow).

Russia could potentially be a force, but as opposed to what MAY occur in Egypt and Tunisia in terms of human development, Russia seems to be stuck in neutral on public health, corruption and investment potential.
The whole Orange Revolution next door didn't yield much success. So i guess it's hard for the Russians to pull up one