View Single Post
Old 2012-01-23, 16:18   Link #27268
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku View Post
Well this now becomes a matter of perspective on all of Umineko. To me, what we see on the gameboards is what happens to the pieces. When people are running for their lives from the goats or the stakes, they are actually doing that and they are scared for their lives. It's no different here with Battler. The trick, the truth, this whole mystery versus fantasy mechanics, all only matter from the Meta perspective. To the general piece, that is reality. I'd say the detective is the only one that's special, because it must be linked with a Meta-perspective.
Except we don't have someone's first-person perspective on that. You understand the difference, right? One is "Bob ran away from demons, and told Steve that he'd just run away from demons." The other is Bob thinking to himself "Holy shit, there's a demon right in front of me! I gotta get the hell out of here and go tell Steve!" In the former case, the demon incident could well have not happened, and Bob could have concocted the story. In the latter case, even if Bob is lying about the story, he's also lying in his own present-tense internal monologue. People do not actually do this.

Now I suppose you can argue "Well so what? Just as I can declare that nobody really fought demons, I can declare that Bob didn't really think what he thought." The problem with this in respect to ep5 is it turns the parlor scene from one in which we have limited and unreliable narration to one where we don't have any narration, because Piece-Battler's thoughts have been ripped out and replaced with deliberate meta-gaming lies.

That would be fine if we had any other perspective on the scene, such as the one Erika ought to have had. But apparently Erika's perspective has never actually mattered to anyone in the Meta-World, because not only do we never see it, nobody acts like it exists to begin with.

That is not something we can really reconcile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku
But still, I think regardless where we are now with the scene is much better then where it was left a month or two ago.
Not really, no. There still isn't an actual answer, just more theories that don't quite work, like puzzle pieces where three of the four edges match a hole and the last one doesn't.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote