View Single Post
Old 2013-03-03, 13:11   Link #196
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree.

Many of the anime fans who like modern anime are not "kids". Many of them are just as old as Syn is, and Syn is not characterizing them as kids. This is not a generational dispute.
I agree with relentlessflame. It's a generational dispute, but it isn't based on age. It's based on what you first started watching, and when.

For example, I was interested to note that synaesthetic mentioned Starship Operators as an example of a series that was appreciated by more discerning fans (and presumably as a great series?). I liked that show quite a bit, but to me, who had started out with series like Martian Successor Nadesico in that genre, Starship Operators seemed like a grab at modern trends (specifically, reality TV). I don't know when or what synaesthetic started with; maybe she also started out with Nadesico and just had a greater appreciation for Starship Operators than I did. But it seems to play into what relentless was saying: it's generational. Anyone who started with Nadesico or series from that time would view Starship Operators as being a new, possibly weird, possibly not up to snuff take on the genre. Anyone who started with Starship Operators would think it was the best thing ever, and would think that what followed was new, possibly weird, and possibly not up to snuff. Of course, people starting with what ever that was would think it was great... and the cycle would repeat.

Quote:
We're only talking a stretch of a few years here. So it's quite a stretch to argue that Syn is just being nostalgic or something like that.
I've heard of elderly people waxing nostalgia over events and places from decades prior, but with the "digital age" I've heard young people in their teens doing the same thing. Perhaps nothing has actually changed and I'm experiencing observational bias, but it makes sense: trends and developments move and shift faster today than they used to.

Quote:
Westlo's argument resonates a bit more to me. Yes, 2005 to 2007 was an exceptionally strong period, and perhaps its asking too much to expect every new period in anime to be that good.
I liked the early 2000's. Noir, Stellvia, Stratos 4, Gundam Seed, Mai HiME, Scrapped Princess - good times. But I also recognize that was when I also dove into anime most heavily, so that's where my bias lies.