View Single Post
Old 2009-10-02, 09:29   Link #2309
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I believe that was a valid question. Do you believe that we're given "smart" brains for a reason?
Maybe we should retrace a few steps. The reason I do not believe that that was a valid question, is that while there might actually be the case that we were given brains for a reason (whoever was the giver), there might be another 100,000 equally likely reasons. And that is the problem when you try to reason things by reversing the cycle of causality. For example, it is perfectly normal to try to derive things effects from a given cause. For example, a water tank spills over the street, the outside pavement will be wet. However trying to reason things the other way around is risky. If the outside pavement is wet, it might have rained... or maybe someone wet it on purpose, or maybe a water tank spilled over, or maybe instead of a simple rain it was a hurricane or...

Which is why normally it is refuted as an invalid question, as per the link I quoted initially.

Quote:
But isn't our survival also natural? Aren't our medicines and solutions natural as well?
Checking your discussion with Ascaloth, seemingly you believe that everything produced by a so called natural being, is by extension a natural product. Under this definition, what counts as an unnatural solution?

Last edited by Proto; 2009-10-02 at 11:21.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote