View Single Post
Old 2010-08-09, 23:40   Link #4101
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
+1 to you. Thanks.

What's up with those multi-sided dice? Are they nerdy? What are their origins?

My three year old girl substitutes Ds and Ts for numerous consonants, including C, F, G, J, K, P, S, Ds for Ts, V, and Z. She's gotten so deep into the habit of substitution that when you ask her to say a word that includes one of the problem letters, and you say it correctly, she replaces the letters, doesn't even try to repeat what you said. I have no clue if she even has the capability to pronounce the problem letters. Speech therapy, or will she just grow out of it?
1) multi-sided polygons have been used for probability and games of chance since the Greek times. However, in popular use they started appearing in the 1970s when Dungeons&Dragons first appeared. Today, people may know *nothing* about tabletop games and still can probably relate these dice to D&D.

2) Three year olds haven't yet trained their vocal systems to differentiate between phonetically related sounds. Just keep speaking normally to her and she'll likely catch on (as long as she doesn't have a hearing issue or learning difference). Now is a good time to have her hearing checked anyway (age 2-3).

Anecdote: my oldest son (now 25) was 3 years old and we all were eating with some of my coworkers while out on a project. #1 son had a favorite little toy car - a fire truck. He dropped it under the table and announced in a concerned voice to my coworker, "Fire Fuck... down dere" Needless to say, the group died laughing while my wife and one of the modest engineers turned deep red.