View Single Post
Old 2012-08-13, 08:21   Link #52
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Actually, I think it's more idealistic to get heavily distressed over a life lesson like "There's no accounting for pure talent". If that heavily distresses a person, then such a person is probably being a bit too idealistic when it comes to egalitarianism.
Take note that the nature of society is fundamentally egalitarian. While individualism is tolerated to certain extents depending on the culture, collectivism still prevails as the dominant philosophy in most societies.

While I don't deny that the inequality that dominates society can be beneficial in certain aspects, the fact is that society, especially in capitalist cultures, is highly competitive. It's a cutthroat environment where individual differences can go a long way in determining one's place in society. Those who have the talent tend to rise while those who don't are left gazing upwards. This is the "reality" that exists in society today, one that each individual is powerless against.

Before anyone labels my views as pessimistic, I'm only expressing the idea in the way I felt the show wanted to portray it.