View Single Post
Old 2007-08-14, 14:26   Link #6
maian330
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
What's wrong with war orphans or useless kids growing up in a dark fantasy world? It worked for Berserk. A large part of the cast of Berserk is pretty much composed of war orphans or downtrodden peasants living in the face of oppression, famine, disease and the supernatural.

Raki is just plain underdeveloped. This is the Claymores' show anyway. Do you see villagers do anything other than stand in their quaint little town-squares and gawk at the Claymores entering town? No?

I mean it's pretty funny that the first "Northern City" we see is just the same rustic town with a lot of snow -- and the gawkers stand around in parkas instead. Nothing distinguishes one rustic town plopped into the middle of the wilderness from another rustic town plopped in the middle of the wilderness.

Point is: Human civilization gets no attention. Raki is just a two-dimensional representative of a two-dimensional world. Even for a lack of world-building, the plight of the ordinary Joe just isn't paid attention to.
That's a good point. But I still wish Raki were at least a teenager, already somewhat hardened by the world yet still retaining his ideals. At the very least, he'd whine a lot less.

I say all this "kids don't have a place in the battlefield" stuff, because I'm distinctly reminded of John Steinbeck's novel The Pearl. In that story, a family is being chased by some pursuers. The mother and her baby try to hide, but the baby cries, attracting the pursuers' attention, leading to their deaths. There are countless other stories that go along the same lines - children inadvertently causing disaster. I see Raki doing almost the same thing at times. Imagine what would've happened if Clare actually did awaken in Rabona - that would've been a disaster that Raki would be partially responsible for.

So all we can rely on is the fact that he's a plot device and that Clare's the main character, so his actions shouldn't inadvertently kill Clare, but who knows what the next stupid thing he'll do is... And hopefully, he'll finally grow up to be a fine man.