View Single Post
Old 2013-03-04, 16:58   Link #500
Dextro
He Without a Title

Out of all the shows I've seen so far I think that Clannad takes the cake with the saddest scenes for me. The second season in particular completely crushed me near the end since I was completely unaware of what would happen after

Spoiler for You really DON'T want to read this if you plan to watch Clannad:

Heck, listening to Dango Daikasoku still leaves me a bit misty eyed.

Another anime that really hit me was 5cm per Second. This one is just brutal.

Spoiler for 5cm per second ending:

It struck a chord with me and again, hit me quite hard. Brilliant movie that one on virtually all accounts.

Ef: Tale of Memories/Melodies should be mentioned as well. In particular:

Spoiler for Ef: Tale of Memories/Melodies:

Ef is also the show that made me a Shinbou fan.

There were other shows that hit me as well like Chrono Crusade whose ending (and ending theme) left me a bit melancholic. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann also has a very powerful ending that left me a bit saddened which was a bit unexpected after how insanely hyperactive the show managed to be on a whole.

Kanon and Air are also worthy of mention obviously for the strong Key/KyoAni drama they presented. The first in particular had some pretty strong scenes at the end of a couple of the main arcs.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien also deserves a mention due to the storyline itself. It's just sad from start to finish. Oh and True Tears, don't forget that one.

And of course how could I forget Aria: The Origination? The simple fact that it ended was enough to sadden me but what happens overall, while obviously not sad by any definition of the word (it's actually quite joyous imho), managed to turn me melancholic.

Spoiler for aria ending:

Curiously the best healing anime I have ever seen managed to leave me with such a bitter-sweet feeling when it ended.

EDIT: btw, honorable mention to Gungrave. I should really rewatch that show.

EDIT2: Ok, something that's been bothering me. Time and time again people claim Elfen Lied as one of the saddest animes they've seen. I've watched the show but didn't find it particularly sad. I think I might be missing something. Was I just that desensitised by the time I got to it or is this a case of the anime falling short of the source material?

Last edited by Dextro; 2013-03-04 at 17:13.
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote