View Single Post
Old 2010-12-07, 17:58   Link #835
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
To say that he mindlessly jumps into situation is quite misleading.

Touma gets dragged into situations against his will, the reason why he stayed through with it was because he learn what was at stake and decided to help out. In many cases he has shown to have quite a good understanding of the situation after the initial shock, after all he was the one that came up with the solution to most of them.

Touma's rationale for continuing to stay involve is simple- To save lives or usually just one life.
He only comes up with solutions in the middle of the fight. You almost never see him pre-plan before attacking, nor have any strategy from the get go.
That is what what I meant by "rush in head first". That my impression of him from the anime anyway.

He fits the shounen anime lead stereotype pretty closely:
  1. hotheaded and impulsive
    - as mentioned above
  2. whitewashed
    - basically "morally perfect"; Few to no character flaws, the few they do have are relatively minor and inconsequential.
    It would be more interesting if they had some undesirable attributes like occasional selfishness, arrogant/pride, prejudices, general messed-up-ness ...
  3. motive
    - somewhat related to 2; The simplistic "For justice!!!" basically sums it up.

I have nothing against such characters, but one sees them so damn often.

It's fairly frustrating.
I really like the show, the artwork and animation is darn good, the music (at least the S1 OP1 and EN1) is great, love the setting and most of the characters (I came from the railgun anime BTW).

Unfortunately the most important character (the lead), that is suppose to hold the audience, has utter failed to grab me. ><