View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 02:43   Link #26
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I guess I just want to say that I'm sort of sad that the OP has become so... callous and disillusioned with the world.

I think real "soft skills" are actually very important. If we're using the term as it should be used, we're talking about human traits like kindness, empathy, compassion, honesty, courtesy, consideration, respect, and so on. You're also talking about the communication skills needed to embody these traits, and be a personification of your company's goodwill towards their customers. People who don't have these sort of "soft skills" can really damage the company's image and the relationships with the very people who pay everyone's salary. There may be some cases where it's okay to have some employees who lack in these areas -- perhaps if they're many layers removed from customers and just doing a job where direct interaction isn't a key requirement -- but generally speaking this is a critical area that tends to be a weakness among people who are more technically-skilled.

Now, of course, all this implies that you work for a company that actually does legitimately care about their customers, and not an organization full of soulless drones who only care about exploiting people. And if you do work in the latter sort of company... I hope you can try to get out.

I guess the whole thing has to start with whether you actually legitimately believe in what you're selling. If you don't, and you're in some sort of sales position, then you'll spend your days living a lie, and that's just soul-numbing and horrible. If you do legitimately believe in the product, then it matters if the company you're working for also legitimately believes in the product and in genuinely serving the customers.

Now, of course, most companies have some sort of metrics to benchmark performance vs. objectives. Sometimes the metrics seem stupid, but they usually have some basis in something that matters. That doesn't mean people along the chain won't implement it poorly; sometimes that's just a reflection of poor expectations from above being passed down to them, and then onward down to you. If you do believe in the product, and you do believe that the company believes in the product and in serving the customer, then there is hope that these sorts of issues can be worked out.

Anyway, all that to say... if you're in a job where you really feel you have to manipulate people to get ahead, I'd say you're probably in the wrong job. I realize of course the job market is hard, and you may have to take what you can get for now... but I'd keep my eyes open for something better. I think life's too short to sell your soul in exchange for a meagre paycheque.