View Single Post
Old 2009-06-30, 20:43   Link #1376
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Apologies if I'm going too far here, I'll be happy to bite my tongue in the future if everyone has heard enough from me.

And I'm not trying to change anyone's views, but I do take issue when it seems like characters are being unfairly singled out. For the most part I was just trying to point out where actual events ran counter to what was being presented, and offering another perspective on what happened. Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now. Promise.
Oh, there's nothing wrong with questioning a particular point of view. People sometimes forget how they reached the conclusions they did, and being asked about their viewpoint often gets them to re-examine the situation.

Our personal preferences have little to do with fairness. When you look at it, Grace intentionally brings harm to many people thoughout the series (eradicating Galia-4 is one such example), but I haven't really seen anyone take her to task for it. That isn't to say that the audience condones her actions - but adherence to some "higher moral principle" doesn't really play a role in how likeable she is as a character.

Now, if we were trying to be "fair", then we ought to apply this same standard to all the characters in the series. But we don't, in practice, simply because our expectations for the characters vary across the board. You're going to find more "gut feeling" than "logic" here. So don't let that bother you.

What concerns me more is the "intent" behind any post. It's sometimes tricky to determine whether a comment is made about a character's actions because the poster was bothered by it, or if the comment was made to rationalize why the poster is bothered by the character. But this is a bit of a sensitive issue, especially since I can't possibly be an authority on what someone else is actually thinking.

So in that sense, I'm glad that you're making an attempt to ask probing questions. Just don't expect a consensus at the end of it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Can I be one of your minions?
You already are.
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote