Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-02, 02:36   Link #577
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The points are all well-taken. My only retort: Has there ever been a time when racism, however mild, is not based on ignorance?

I'm willing to make a distinction between intentional and unintentional racial/cultural stereotyping. In my mind, though, both are equally bad. The latter is particularly tricky, because the "offender" doesn't even know there is a problem.

I'll concede that this programme is made for domestic Japanese audiences. The feelings of foreigners watching such content just wasn't in the equation, and neither do I expect it to be. True, it's a realistic portrayal of Japanese insularity, but my point is that such insularity is not something to be proud of, let alone laugh about. Ignorance, very simply, shouldn't be an excuse.

But, all things considered, it's just a minor nitpick in an otherwise usual episode. I'll stop here lest I derail the thread.
But the one who was stereotyped here was Tsukuba. Aside from the black guy being big, I guess.

If you want to go there, what was really stereotypical was that the caucasians were blonds. It's not that common a hair color.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote