View Single Post
Old 2011-05-15, 15:08   Link #72
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
Of course not; that's stupid. But you can finish a book and say, "Hey, I really like this story/these characters, so I want to hear more about them." And if a character wasn't fully explored in the first book, there's nothing wrong with picking up the second in the hopes of seeing more of that character; I've done exactly that a number of times.
Depends how those stories and characters are placed in the first product you mentioned. If it's a fully concluded story and/or well developed characters, yes, going for a sequel is not strange at all. But when something is missing (like what I suggested in your quotation), it's a different story. Then it isn't "Hey, I really like this story/these characters, so I want to hear more about them.", but "Hey, what in the world happened in the end and who in the world is that guy?". It's as if one can't judge a certain product without being redirected to other works.
In Madoka Magica's case, it seems that we agree that the characters are indeed underdeveloped. But can we can call it something that 'should have been there?

Last edited by VentAileron; 2011-05-15 at 15:25.
VentAileron is offline   Reply With Quote