View Single Post
Old 2011-01-08, 10:42   Link #3081
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
I've been a huge fan of time travel stories since I was a child, going back to the paradoxical conversation Rimmer and Lister have in the episode "Future Echoes" of Red Dwarf. Explains why I was so overjoyed by "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" and "Disappearance".

So, pardon me for merely skimming the conversation so far, but I don't see any significant ontological paradoxes in the film's events. In fact, I'd say the paradox of Kyon saving his own life (ensuring he is alive to later save his own life) is one of the most enjoyable things about it. Provided there is still cause and effect, the logic isn't broken, even if cause and effect are in a continuous loop or happening simultaneously. Everything has a source. It isn't like, for example, a lazy Doctor Who novel I read where the Doctor was given a potion by his future self and in turn later gave it to his past self, even casually pointing out that nobody had actually invented the potion to begin with.

The only major inconsistency in my eyes is that the future SOS Brigade seemingly erase the "Nagato world" from existence on the morning of December 18th, minutes after it is created, and therefore ensure that Kyon never awoke in that world later that morning and, two days later, ran the emergency escape program that led to that world being erased. That's a surefire paradox, a broken circle; but considering I haven't seen how it concludes (in the Vol. 7 prologue, apparently), I haven't passed judgement yet.

Even if it does end up being a plot hole, Tanigawa has given himself an easy out by having Kyon point out the inconsistency in time travel theory to Nagato, with both her and future Asahina telling him it's too complex for him (and therefore us) to understand. It isn't perfect, but hey, suspension of disbelief and all that. But considering how careful Tanigawa has been so far in making sure everything connects up, I do hope Vol. 7 handles it carefully.

Again, sorry if I've completely missed the gist of this conversation! I don't have a lot of time to peruse forums and the like, but this conversation is just too interesting for me to remain entirely silent!
Manwards is offline   Reply With Quote