View Single Post
Old 2011-11-25, 09:08   Link #19
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
How well P.A. Works can adapt existing works is still an unknown, at least until Another starts airing. I do think White Fox has the ability though.
A big part of the reason why I raised P.A. Works is that its animators and artists have an overall visual style that I think is a good match for the character designs and artistic style of the more well-known Key works, including Little Busters. I would argue that P.A. Works captures "anatomically correct, bright, colorful, and fluid 'moe' animation" roughly as well as Kyoto Animation does, and that's the sort of visual style that Little Busters calls for, imo.

In my opinion, determining which animation studio would best handle Little Busters is not simply a matter of determining which animation studio most recently did a good-to-great job with a major commercially successful VN adaptation. Rather, I think a large consideration should be given to finding an animation studio who's particular strengths and talents make it a good match with the specific VN that's to be adapted.

To elaborate on what I mean here - As much as I love SHAFT and Shinbo's zany style, I think it would clash nastily with either of the Key works that I'm familiar with. That's a big part of the reason why I wouldn't want SHAFT to handle Little Busters.

White Fox did a very good job with Steins;Gate, but the overall visual style of Steins;Gate (which did work very well for Steins;Gate) is not really the best match for Little Busters, imo. Now White Fox is certainly capable of doing other visual styles (as displayed by Katanagatari and Tears to Tiara) but I haven't seen them capture a visual style (over the full run of an anime) that I think goes particularly well with Little Busters. Both Kyoto Animation and P.A. Works have not only developed such an artistic/visual style, but it's one that they've refined and even mastered to a significant degree.