View Single Post
Old 2012-10-02, 00:17   Link #464
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
^Partially because the katana has a limited range, dulls quite easily, and can be stuck in bone. Secondly a weapon, any weapon is only as good as its operator! And I rather doubt the person in question was trained in any sort of martial art, more likely hack and slash with the three foot razor blade.
We covered swords in the old Zombie thread if you remember? And I preferred the Roman Gladius as its a stouter blade destined for both hack and slash as well as stabbing. But in the real world a firearm is preferable as distance is your friend!
As for the show, yeah they're really reaching with the sword thing, but I'll watch the premier nonetheless.
Let me repeat this, Walking Dead is about a Zombie Apocalypse. An apocalypse caused by Zombies. If you are willing to suspend your disbelief so far as to accept the fact that the dead can come back to life (and decide human flesh is good eats), then disputing the use of a sword (any type) in such a fictional landscape seems downright silly.

Additionally, to put it in perspective, crazy blond woman (Lauren Holden) spent all of two episodes learning how to shoot a variety of firearms. After those two episodes, she could hit a moving target with a chance to kill at a 100 yards (thereabouts). That is impossible in the real world. Hell, being able to use any firearm in a reasonable fashion is almost impossible after only a few days. Yet, the entire series, nay the entire Zombie Apocalypse mythos, is built around the idea that anyone can pick up any gun at any time and start getting clean head shoots (with any type of gun) within days if not hours.

If you, are anyone, is willing to suspend their disbelief so far as to allow these very unrealistic ideas, then why not swords? What's the big deal? They may not work a certain way in real life, but this is clearly not real life (though it is nowhere near as bad as the chainsaw arm from Evil Dead that you referenced earlier).

That being said, and to repeat what I wrote in the apocalypse thread, the main weapon everyone needs in a zombie apocalypse is a big stick (metal or otherwise). Your main defense and offense is always to run away, and frankly guns provide something of a very false sense of security (guns are most useful on humans because they can cause humans to retreat or surrender; since Zombies never retreat, guns are essentially useless beyond the dozen or so zombies that you can kill before you run out of bullets and have to run or die), but a big stick is a constant companion that can always help you, and since your main weapon is the big stick you will always try to steer clear of entering any situation where a big stick is useless.

Big Stick for President!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Melodrama social conflicts has it place, but it should take a backseat to actually facing the survival issue, not be the prominent force of the plot.
Whoever wrote the first half of the 2nd season was a complete idiot who didn't have a CLUE on priority.
I never disputed this (though, I do think part of the survival process is finding ways to work with others). My problem wasn't so much the pacing (which was bad), but rather the character regression from episode to episode. Characters would learn some valuable lesson in one episode, only to regress the next episode, relearn the same lesson, then regress again until they either die, or whatever lesson they were supposed to learn becomes irrelevant. Not only was this an uninteresting and boring process, it was downright idiotic at times, and thoroughly broke any of the shows tension and drama (which, when done right, was quite powerful).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote