Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2010-10-18, 05:31   Link #904
Tokyo_Arwen

I haven't a clue. I suppose how permanent they are in japan. Most english teachers are here for short term and so we just rent. For longer term people, they are often married to a Japanese and no doubt that makes things easier.

I see a lot of talk about naturalization. I don't really know much about the process, but I get the impression that it's difficult to get and not particularly rewarding (as long as you look foreign, you'll be treated so.) A fellow teacher has been here for about 15 years and is married with 2 kids and he's given up getting citizenship.

There's bullying in Japan because japanese kids are still human, as are teachers. There are always kids standing around, but if you are reluctant in everything (sports, culture fest, cleaning etc, club) you'll get a bad name for yourself. Students are expected to be involved. That's why they have student council, charities committee, greeting group (I am not sure if this is the same as the student council). High schools and universities also look at these things so kids who aren't involved are disadvantaged.
Tokyo_Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote