Old 2007-08-23, 02:42   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate View Post
*offtopic*

A happy birthday to Vexx too, from me. =D

There's something that intrigues me, though: Is there such a religion that believes in the existence of (a) god, but at the same time accepts the existence of other gods from other religions, in the sense that their gods and those 'other gods' co-exist in accordance to this religion despite the possible conflict of belief (with the other religions)?

gah; T_T what kind of words am I using...
Shinto follows that line to some extent. It is how Buddhism was easily accepted/integrated into japanese culture -- especially since Buddhism has no "gods" as one might normally think of them. Shinto also permits one to be "christian" (though I suspect that is more of a fad than a true conversion for many) and there's some bemusement (or outright ignoring) of the exclusivity demand of mainstream christianity.

Everything is just a subset or colorful twist within Shinto one could say.

Thanks to people are off-topically wishing me well on my recent birthday... can't say I'm "in my 40s" anymore. Apologies for the spaghetti remark - creating one's own religion just kind of spawned the reference. The geneticist Richard Dawkins discusses the subject quite seriously in part of his book: The God Delusion. I found the book an interesting read, whatever one thinks of the subject.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-23 at 02:59.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote