View Single Post
Old 2012-06-24, 10:37   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Your IP address can be harvested from the tracker and associated with a file any time you use Bittorrent. Your traffic might already be scanned using "deep packet inspection" technologies. If you think this changes anything fundamental about the lack of privacy while using Bittorrent, you're wrong. The article describes the usual methods of avoiding surveillance, particularly the use of proxies. There might be even easier methods of avoiding detection. If the ISPs are simply going to log traffic to the standard BT ports 6881-6900, then using a non-standard port avoids that entirely.

There are a couple of obvious methods to detect BitTorrent users. I assume that all the major copyright holders have robots running on trackers like Nyaa that connect to torrents, pose as peers, and compile the IP addresses of the machines exchanging each title. This wouldn't be a very hard program to write.

Another way to identify BT users is their uncharacteristic pattern of Internet traffic. Few other Internet services create such a profusion of separate connections to individual peers as does BT. It's not hard to identify network users who have a much larger than average number of peered connections.

I can't speak for GHDpro, but I would think none of this matters at all for AnimeSuki as a listing service for English-subtitled unlicensed Japanese animation. Obviously all the production houses and R1 licensors know that AnimeSuki exists and cope with that fact in their own ways. AnimeSuki itself has complied with takedown orders like these.

Since I live in the US, nearly every show I watch these days is streamed. I rarely torrent files any more except for the occasional unavailable show like AKB0048 or Showa Monogatari. Personally I'm much happier paying my $7/month to Crunchyroll to stream legally and avoid any moral qualms or legal hassles involved in downloading torrents. People living outside the US don't have the same access to streams as I do, so torrents serve a useful purpose for them. As the article talks about US ISPs, though, the problems of foreign anime viewers aren't relevant here.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote