View Single Post
Old 2012-07-28, 18:35   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Based on your list of what you liked, I don't think you should have too much trouble getting into any number of series running now. What I'm curious about is what's turning you off to the series that you've tried so far (including Code Geass, which was widely regarded).

The reason I ask is because after 5-6 years of fairly heavy watching, I was out of anime for a year or two, and I had a really hard time getting back in. What I determined was that the things that were "stereotypically anime" were really bugging me. Characters were too bizarre, behavioral quirks grated on me; these were things that used to make anime endearing. The trouble was that I wasn't really used to anime anymore. I expected to be able to dive right back in, but I was being turned off almost immediately.

If that fits your description, here was my solution: I went back in slowly, starting out with series that aren't quite as zany. My "first" recent series was Moshidora, a short (11-12 episodes) series that centered around a high school baseball team. I never got into sports anime series before, but the entire thing was fairly low key and I found that I could enjoy it. I forgot what I went on to from there, but that sufficiently "broke the ice" and allowed me to get into series that are more typical for anime.

Even though I'm "back into it" now, the more you watch, the harder it is for newer series to measure up. I've stopped watching a number of series simply because I didn't feel that they were worth my time, even though I probably would have enjoyed them years ago. You almost have to prepare yourself before watching these newer shows: go in with zero expectations, and try not to make any comparisons to what you're used to until it's over.

Best of luck getting back in; welcome back to the fandom