View Single Post
Old 2010-06-29, 08:09   Link #429
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Not really. Chaa even said that the only thing that was preventing him from moving on was his obligation to support the SSS. Did they stop trying to disappear after the shadows went away? No. Also, Otonashi's [not so] top secret plan never went unnoticed. After all, Yuri has her personal spy satellite (Yusa) on the whole group 24/7. Even then, she didn't interfere. And in the end, it is up to the target to decide if he/she wants to disappear or not. How can I say this? Because Yuri briefs all new recruits on the DOs and DON'Ts of not wanting to disappear. Yui never rejected Otonashi's advances, and she even felt down when she wasn't able to overcome her regret.

The main point of the Shadows was to show Yuri that complaining to and rebelling against God is useless. Nothing can draw Him out, thus His existence in that world cannot be proven. Remember Yuri's original goal? Create a ruckus big enough such that God will have to intervene (try to lure out God). Nothing short of total world deletion would be a greater ruckus than the forced purge/reformat that the Shadows were doing. Thus, the rise of the Shadows and the AI/Contruct's words regarding God cemented the notion of an unprovable God (and reinforced Naoi's notion of anyone being capable of taking God's seat in that world), depriving the SSS of its main motivation to fight (you can't prove God exists, yet you also can't prove he doesn't exist -- agnosticism if you may). I believe this is also among the minor messages of the show.
I think you missed my point there.

The shadow and its ability to turn people to NPCS (which lead to everyone moving on) is simply an excuse to make Otonashi's ideology seems to be more justified, and he therefore can act his Key male-lead archetype to kick everyone out and save the day.
They could have a bunches of robot/aliens/cats/monsters that started to attack the SSS, lead to Yuri's own investigation and have the same ending. After all Yuri is not so irresponsible that she will just let the attacks going on without tracking the root. They don't even need any attacks, simply a clue that Yuri thought can get her to God (but actually leads to the history of Programmer) would be enough

But then we will have Yuri officially meeting up with people to decide for the SSS to move on altogether or stay together (or whatever) after she dealt with her regret. And then we won't need the amateur Otonashi to "heroically" tell people run for their life because the 'ZOMG shadows gonna eat them up'.

You understand what i mean? In short, Yuri (if she want to) can persuade people to move on because she had their trusts and always placed her life before them. Newcomer -Otonashi can't really do that, so a fake disaster have to be up just so he can play the big role to decide everyone's future