Thread: Licensed Initial D
View Single Post
Old 2004-05-03, 11:58   Link #28
Suikun

Tokyopop technically didn't edit anything for content in the English version, they just localized it by changing the names and music, and - as with nearly every English dub - rewrote the scripts to make it more... American. Also, I heard Tokyopop did a few things to "snazz up" the CGI racing scenes - like splitting the screen four ways, inverting colors, adding fancy transitions, etc. You know, to give it that "MTV" style to cater towards those who have ADD (See? Isn't Tokyopop nice?).

Just watch the subtitled version on the same disc - if you're looking for faithfulness to the original, that should always be your choice anyway.

My only confusion comes from the reports I've heard of people saying that Tokyopop edited the translations for the subtitles. I've heard one example used over and over, though. A line that's supposed to be something like "I've seen you naked before" or something was changed to "I've seen you in a bathing suit before"... or something. I've never seen Initial D, so I don't know what the line was supposed to be nor do I know what Tokyopop changed it to, nor do I know if this type of editing happens more than just that time. Lots of people complained about that one line yet made it sound like Tokyopop did this type of thing multiple time throughout the anime, so I don't know which is the case. If it was just that one line, then no big deal - mistakes happen. But if they did this all throughout the anime then you might as well go R2 shopping.